Important Policies & FAQ

Here are some of the most common questions we receive about the Honors Scholar Program at Truman:

AP and CLEP courses have not been accepted as substitutions for Honors courses.  Note, however, that some Honors courses have prerequisites which the AP or CLEP may meet.  In other words, you may have a choice of courses that students without the prerequisite do not have.

Transfer credit from other universities has only very rarely been accepted.  This is not because these transfer courses may not be good courses in their own right (and may transfer as a Truman course designated as approved for the Honors Scholar Program), but instead because those courses do not typically offer the opportunities for interactions between students and faculty with the variety of liberal arts interests that we commonly see in Truman’s honors courses.  Again, you may be able to take a more advanced course for the Honors Scholar Program by meeting a prerequisite.

The Honors Scholar Program supports Study Abroad and substitution credit has been granted for some Study Abroad coursework, especially in Humanities or Social Science.  The maximum credit allowed is towards fulfilling one Honors course (3 hours).  The substitution may not have to be for the equivalent of a specific Honors course.

To request a substitution, contact a member of the Honors Scholar committee.  If the committee determines that the request deserves further examination by the committee, you will be asked to submit a course syllabus/syllabi, a transcript, and a cover letter explaining how you believe your experience fulfills an Honors Scholar requirement.  Sometimes students also submit major papers or work done for their courses.

Students may (double) count approved Honors courses (unless they are in their major discipline) that also are designated as fulfilling LSP or minor requirements.

Students may NOT count courses in their major discipline towards the Honors Scholar Program unless they are a double major.  That is, students may not count any course with their major discipline prefix (e.g. ENG) or that counts towards the actual (30 + hours) major.

STAT 290 can count for all majors (including math).

Courses outside of the major prefix used as Required Support and BS Requirements, etc., can count in most cases.  Certain disciplines have restrictions on counting the following courses: MATH 263, 264, CHEM 130, (CHEM 421 for biology majors if used for their major) and PHYS 185, 186, 195, and 196.  For example, PHYS 185-186 cannot count for other majors that require it; these majors may usually count PHYS 195-196 for Honors designation.  If you have a question, consult the Honors Scholar Program committee member in that area.

By major:

  • Ag science: can NOT count CHEM 130 CAN count PHYS 185, 186
  • Biology: can NOT count CHEM 130, PHYS 185, PHYS 186; CHEM 421 if used as an elective for the biology major BS students CAN count any BS requirement honors courses (including CHEM 131, PHYS 195, 196)
  • Biochemistry and Molecular Biology: can NOT count PHYS 185, PHYS 186, or any CHEM or BIOL course used to fulfill major requirements or required support; CAN count PHYS 195 and PHYS 196
  • Business: ECON courses can only count if they are not used to fill major or required support areas. Once those requirements are met, additional ECON courses may be counted.
  • Chemistry: can NOT count MATH 263, 264, PHYS 185, 186; CAN count STAT 290, PHYS 195, 196 and any honors Biology courses
  • Computer Science: can NOT count MATH 263, CHEM 130, PHYS 185, or PHYS 195 if counted toward the major CAN count CHEM 130, PHYS 185, or PHYS 195 if not used to fill a major requirement CAN count MATH 200, 264, 285, BIOL 200, 300, CHEM 131, PHYS 196, and STAT 290
  • Exercise Science: can NOT count CHEM 130 or PHYS 185 if they are required, as for pre-med CAN count CHEM 131, PHYS 186, 195, 196
  • Math: can NOT count CHEM 130 or PHYS 195 if counted toward the major CAN count CHEM 130 or PHYS 195 if not used to fill a major requirement CAN count STAT 290, CHEM 131, PHYS 195, 196
  • Physics: can NOT count MATH 263 or 264 CAN count MATH 365 and honors Biology and Chemistry courses EXCEPT: CHEM 130

By course:

Note: No major can count a course in its own discipline. (e.g. Chemistry majors cannot count any CHEM course).

  • MATH 263 can NOT count for Chemistry, Computer Science, or Physics majors
  • MATH 264 can NOT count for Chemistry or Physics majors
  • CHEM 130 can NOT count for Ag science, Biology, Computer Science, or Physics majors
  • CHEM 131 CAN count for all majors (except Chemistry)
  • CHEM 421 can NOT count for Biology (if used as elective for the Biology major)
  • PHYS 185-186 can NOT count for Biology, Chemistry, or Exercise Science (if required) majors CAN count for Ag science
  • STAT 290 CAN count for all majors
You can search the open course list in TruView by “Honors Scholar” designation (under “attribute type”) by discipline. To search for all Honors courses in all disciplines, use ENTER + SHIFT + END (simultaneously, not in sequence). NASC 400 every fall and NASC 401 every spring. MATH 455 is every other fall; and MATH 456 is every other spring only.

Check the catalog for prerequisites for particular courses. Some general notes:

  • Mathematics:  All the MATH courses require at least MATH 198 except MATH 455 and 456: History of Mathematics.
  • Science: Most of the science courses have prerequisites (some in MATH) except NASC 400 and 401.
  • Humanities:  French, German, Greek, Japanese, Latin, and Spanish courses have prerequisites. The Russian courses, ART (except ART 329), and the Philosophy and Religion courses do not have prerequisites.  English courses require ENG 190 and recommend ENG 209; theater courses require THEA 275.  COMM 390 requires COMM 357 or classics major status.  Most of the MUSI courses have prerequisites.
  • Social Science: Geography and Political Science courses do not have prerequisites. ECON 205 does not have a prerequisite; the other ECON courses do. Most of the history courses do not have a prerequisite; a few require sophomore standing or other prerequisites. The SOAN courses require at least 191.**Which courses count towards the LSP?
First, just let us know that you are interested in participating in the program by filling out our interest form.  That is all you need to do (besides take the courses) until the semester before you graduate. At that time download the graduation worksheet, print it off, and fill in the courses you will be using to qualify as an Honors Scholar.  If you are currently taking a course but have not yet completed it, fill in the course name and semester, and leave the grade blank.  Have the form signed by your adviser and a member of the Honors Scholar Committee.  Turn it in to the Registrar with your “Intent to Graduate” form after you have enrolled for your last semester.
Your cumulative GPA is the GPA that is used. It is the same one that is used for determining cum laude, etc. Note: If your cumulative GPA is less than 3.5 as of your next to last semester, you will not be eligible to participate in the medal ceremony. If after final grades, you do have a cumulative GPA meeting the required minimum 3.5, you will receive the Honors Scholar designation; you will be mailed the medal with the certificate, and you will be eligible to participate in the next medal ceremony, if you so desire.